NOCAC Bus Drivers will have an understanding of the role of child transportation and meet all physical, mental and moral requirements established by federal rule and state laws.
Each Bus Driver must:
- Be at least 21 years of age with a minimum of two years driving experience. (OAC 3301-83-06)
- Have passed a satisfactory criminal background check
- A new report is required every 6 years with driver re-certification.
- NOCAC will maintain these records for a minimum of six years.
- Have a negative pre-employment drug test
- Be physically qualified by passing the Physicians T8 Form.
- Pass semi-annual driver record checks through the Ohio Department of Education
- Records are maintained by NOCAC for a minimum of six years.
- Obtain a CDL (Commercial Driver’s License) with at least a Class C classification with a School Bus and Passenger Endorsement.
- Observe a route with an experienced driver and students onboard; and drive a route with an experienced driver and students onboard. Successfully complete pre-service and in-service trainings
- Participate in drug and alcohol testing as mandated by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) pursuant to 49 C.F.R. 382 (January 2007).
- Bus Drivers with any of the following will be disqualified from operating a school bus:
- More than six points during the past two years.
- A conviction of driving while under the influence of alcohol and/or a controlled substance during the past six years.
- Two (or more) serious traffic violations during the past two years.
- Any railroad crossing violation during the past year as evidenced by a conviction, video, or a report by a law enforcement agency or railroad official; or
- Refusal to participate in drug and alcohol testing.
- New staff that require a CDL per job description will have 30 days to obtain a CDL Permit and 90 days to obtain a CDL.
- Staff who fail to obtain a CDL in 90 days will have their probation extended for an additional 30 days.
- Disciplinary action will be taken for staff who do not obtain a CDL during the probation extension.
- The Transportation/Safety Specialist or Center Manager will perform an annual driving evaluation of each bus driver.
- This observation includes an on-board observation of road performance.
- The Transportation/Safety Specialist will keep record of the bus driver’s CDL permit and the last performance evaluation.
Forms and Additional Guidance:
This policy complies with the following
|Head Start Program Performance Standard:||1303.72(b)|
|ODJFS Child Care Manual:||5101:2-12-14(c)|
|Caring for Our Children:|
|Other Sources:||OAPT 3301.83-06|
|Effective Date:||8/7/17||Reviewed Date:||7/31/20, 6/14/22|
|Approved By Policy Council:||8/7/17||Revision Approved By Policy Council:|