To ensure safe practices, NOCAC staff will follow the outlined practices to promote consistency when approving new Bus Monitors.
- Initial contact will be made through the Center Manager (CM) and/or Transportation and Safety Specialist (TSS) at which time the needed requirements are explained to the potential monitor:
- HS Diploma or GED
- Valid Driver’s License or Valid Photo ID
- Record of Immunizations – TDap and MMR
- BCI/FBI Background Clearance – 1176 (paid by NOCAC)
- Register in the OCCRRA system
- A physical with a drug scree (paid by NOCAC)
- Required training offered by NOCAC at no cost to monitor.
- 1175 Submission
- CM or TSS will assist the potential monitor in the completion of the Bus Monitor Background Check form.
- CM or TSS set up profile in OCCRRA to include all license #’s for the sites they are willing to monitor.
- Report to CO for Prints – Call ahead to ensure PFCC will be in office.
- 1176 Approval/Denial:
- Human Resources (HR) will notify TSS of approval or denial and will print off copy of 1176 to give to TSS.
- HR and TSS will coordinate a time for the Physical and training to be completed on the same day to avoid multiple trips for monitor.
- TSS will correspond with potential monitor to ensure times.
- HR will schedule physical/drug screen, give required forms to CO front desk for the monitor to pick up prior to physical.
- HR will notify TSS upon receipt of physical and will upload into child plus. TSS will set up the ODJFS “Green” file.
- 1.5 hours including Bus monitor duties and responsibilities. Supplying a list of Bus activities for children, how to avoid and manage behaviors on the bus, standards of conduct and an example of their daily paperwork of monitor stipend. They will also fill out a W-9 that will be given to finance.
- Child Abuse/Neglect – 30 days from the date of approval, to complete the one hour training online CA/N training thru OCCRRA.
- ODJFS one hour Transportation Training thru OCCRRA.
- TSS will provide training on the day of physical (when possible).
- TSS will set up the ODJFS “Green file”.
- When the file is complete with a copy of 1176, medical statement, shot record, driver’s license, proof of education and bus monitor training and one hour online transportation training (OCCRRA).
- TSS will give to the monitor to submit to CM.
- Bus monitor will go over with CM the Parent-Provider Partnership Skill: Basic Communication Tips paper to sign.
- Route Documentation
- Site managers track and submit Bus Monitor Stipend Log paperwork
- Bus Monitors receive a stipend of $12 per route.
- Monitors do not receive stipend for training attendance.
Forms and Additional Guidance:
- Bus Monitor Background Check form
- Parent-Provider Partnership Skill: Basic Communication Tips
- Bus Monitor Stipend Log
This policy complies with the following
|Head Start Program Performance Standard:||1303.72(e)|
|ODJFS Child Care Manual:||5101:2-12-01 (H) 5101:2-12-08 (B) 5101:2-12-08 (D) 5101:2-12-10 (A) (2)|
|Caring for Our Children:|
|Effective Date:||8/7/17||Reviewed Date:||4/28/20, 6/9/22|
|Approved By Policy Council:||8/7/17||Revision Approved By Policy Council:|