NOCAC Bus Monitors are counted in ratio on the bus and will be expected to interact with children in a positive, friendly and socially supportive manner using positive behavior strategies and encouraging pro-social interactions among children. Bus Monitors will be trained in accordance with all Federal, State and Local requirements.
- Bus monitors are considered a “Child Care Staff Member” per ODJFS rule 5101:2-12-01(H) because they are counted in ratio while on the bus and assigned specific work hours.
- Bus monitors must meet all Child Care Staff Member requirements listed in ODJFS 5101:2-12-08(B)
- Bus monitors will complete the ODJFS prescribed online orientation within 30 days of starting. ODJFS 5101:2-12-08(D)
- Bus monitors will complete within the first 30 days, either the ODJFS Prescribed one hour child abuse overview or the six hour Child Abuse Recognition and Prevention Training. (ODJFS 5101:2-12-10(A)(2))
- The Transportation/Safety Specialist will train all bus monitors on the following before they begin:
- Child boarding and exiting procedures
- How to use child restraint system
- Completing any required paperwork
- How to respond to emergencies
- Emergency evacuation procedures
- How to use special equipment
- Child pick-up and release procedures
- How to conduct pre-trip and post-trip vehicle checks
- Bus monitor will sign a Standards of Conduct Form at hire with TSS and if returning the following year they will sign one annually with the center manager.
- Bus monitors are subject to requirements in Staff Safety Training.
- Bus monitors are encouraged, but not required, to be trained in the following:
- First Aid
- Bus monitors must complete 6 hours of training annually each ODJFS fiscal year (July 1 through June 30).
- Training topics include those listed in 5101:2-12-10 appendix B
- First Aid, CPR, CCI, and Child Abuse Recognition/Prevention may not be used towards the 6 hours (per ODJFS 5101:2-12-10(B)(1)(b))
- Bus Monitors are not required to complete the 6 hours until the following fiscal year if hired between January 1 and June 30th.
- Bus Monitors will attend an annual Bus Driver Training.
- Center Managers will track bus monitor training hours.
- Bus Monitors will be observed annually by the Center Manager or the TSS using the Bus Monitor Observation Form. The Bus Monitor Observation Form will be sent to the TSS for review and filing.
- The Bus Monitor Conference Form will be used to document performance concerns.
- Monitors will be informed of all training opportunities NOCAC provides that are relevant to their duties.
Forms and Additional Guidance:
This policy complies with the following
|Head Start Program Performance Standard:||1303.72(e)|
|ODJFS Child Care Manual:||5101:2-12-01; 5101:2-12-08; 5101:2-12-10|
|Caring for Our Children:|
|Effective Date:||8/7/2017||Reviewed Date:||1/6/20, 6/13/22|
|Approved By Policy Council:||8/7/2017||Revision Approved By Policy Council:||1/6/20|