NOCAC Head Start/Early Head Start (HS/EHS) ensures that all accidents involving vehicles that transport children are reported in accordance with applicable Federal, State and local requirements.
- The Incident/Accident Report Form must be completed within 24 hours of an incident/accident.
- Accident involving a fixed project (i.e. sign, mailbox, fence, etc)
- The driver will immediately contact the Center Manager
- The Center Manger will contact the Health/Safety Manager (HSM) and the NOCAC Head Start/ECE Director.
- Accident involving another vehicle
- Reporting the following information:
- Number of injuries
- Type and seriousness of injuries
- Damage to bus
- Damage to other property
- Names of all adults and children on board
- Any other relevant information for later review by the NOCAC Child Development Director
- The driver’s primary concern will be for the safety and well-being of the children on the bus.
- The driver will make every effort to care for the injured and calm the children.
- The Center Manager (or designee) will contact all parents/guardians of the children on the bus.
- Children cannot be released to their parent/guardian until Local Police have arrived and give approval.
- If a parent takes their child from the scene (after Police approval), the parent will sign the child out on the Transportation Attendance Form by completing the X, recording the time and their initials.
- If necessary, Drug and/or Alcohol Testing will be required per NOCAC Policy 7.00.
- The HSM will file a T-10 School Bus Accident Form via ODE SAFE website if damage exceeds $1000.00.
- The HSM will contact the Ohio State Highway Patrol for inspection (see OSBIM 2016) if a Police Report is filed.
- The NOCAC Center Manager will go to https://oclqs.force.com and file a Serious Incident Report by the next business day.
- Upon completion the Center Manager will print a completed copy of the JFS 01156 Serious Incident Reporting for Child Care and give to each parent. This meets the parent notification requirement of 2b and takes the place of JFS 01299 – Incident/Injury Report
- A copy of the JFS 01156 Serious Incident Reporting for Child Care will be sent to the Health and Safety Manager, Transportation/Safety Specialist and the NOCAC Child Head Start/ECE Director.
Forms and Additional Guidance:
This policy complies with the following
|Head Start Program Performance Standard:||1303.72|
|ODJFS Child Care Manual:||5101:2-12-16(E)(F)(G)|
|Caring for Our Children:|
|Other Sources:||ORC 3301-83-14 Section G|
|Effective Date:||8/7/2017||Reviewed Date:||12/20/19, 6/8/22|
|Approved By Policy Council:||8/7/2017||Revision Approved By Policy Council:||12/20/19|