Poisonous plants are not allowed in areas where participants may spend time during their HS/EHS day.
- Any plant at a center must have the name of the plant clearly labeled on the container. No plants known to be poisonous (see list below) are acceptable for placement at any sites.
- If staff do not know if a plant is toxic, they should consult with either a local green house or the Ohio State University Extension Service.
- Poisonous plants found at outdoor areas that are used, but not owned, by NOCAC will be made inaccessible to the children and families.
- NOCAC staff will integrate poison prevention into lessons, letting children know that plants can be poisonous and never eat any part of a plant, including berries or seeds, unless told it is okay by a trusted adult.
- If someone is exposed to a poisonous plant or if a child is suspected of ingesting any type of plant, staff will immediately call Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222 and follow instructions given by their trained staff.
|Amaryilis||Diffenbachia||Jequirity Bean||Potato Plant|
|Begonia (sand)||English Holly/Ivy||Jimson Weed||Pyrocantha|
|Bird of Paradise||Elderberry||Juniper||Rhododendron|
|Black Nightshade Berry||Elephant Ears||Larkspur||Rhubarb|
|Butterfly Weed||Eucalyptus||Laurel||Skunk Cabbage|
|Calamondin Orange Tree||Firecracker||Mistletoe||Spathe Flower|
|Carnation||Foxglove||Morning Glory||String of Pearls|
|Castor Bean||Geranium||Needlepoint Ivy||Tomato Leaves|
|Christmas Cherry||Golden Chain||Oleander||Tulips-Dermatitis|
|Cyclamen||Holly Berry||Oxallis||Umbrella Tree|
|Daphne||Hydrangea Blossom||Poison Ivy||Wild Cucumber|
|Deadly Nightshade||Iris||Poison Sumac||Wild Parsnip|
|Devil’s Ivy||Jack-In-The-Pulpit||Poison Hemlock||Wild Peas|
Forms and Additional Guidance:
This policy complies with the following
|Head Start Program Performance Standard:|
|ODJFS Child Care Manual:|
|Caring for Our Children:||188.8.131.52 – Use of Poison Center|
|Effective Date:||02/25/20||Reviewed Date:||10/22/20, 6/8/22|
|Approved By Policy Council:||Revision Approved By Policy Council:|