NOCAC staff will follow the outlined process to obtain/maintain school bus driving endorsement.
- Transportation/Safety Specialist (TSS) will provide the potential CDL driver a welcome packet at the time of hire, which includes instructions on how to obtain the CDL training booklet, a list of BMV test sites and sample permit tests with questions and answers.
- Staff will go to local BMV to obtain a CDL training booklet after hire.
- Permit study/test taking will be done off work time (unless otherwise approved by Supervisor).
- Staff are required to pass three tests at local BMV (with 45 days)
- General knowledge
- School Bus without Air Brakes/Class C
- Staff will submit for reimbursement of permit, by issuing a copy of the receipt and copy of permit to their supervisor who will complete the purchase order process.
- Staff will sign the CDL REIMBURSEMENT FORM 2022 at the first training session with the TSS. This form is maintained with the TSS.
- NOCAC fiscal department will notify TSS upon driver resignation.
- Fiscal will adjust drivers remaining check with proper reimbursements amount if necessary.
- Staff will work with Supervisor and TSS to schedule time for mandatory minimum 12 hours of “On Bus Training” with a certified On Board Instructor (OBI).
- Successfully complete the T-9 Training Form.
- Training hours may be increased as needed by OBI or Child Development Director.
- Staff will successfully complete the four day Bus Driver Pre-Service Training class as required by ODE Pupil and Transportation Rules.
- Upon completion of all required training, the TSS (or Supervisor when TSS not available) will take staff to testing center to obtain CDL.
- An Out of Area form will be completed for OBI and staff member if testing location is outside of our service area.
- Staff will submit receipts for CDL license for reimbursement with a copy of new Drivers License, to their supervisor. A Purchase Order will be completed and submitted to the office for reimbursement.
- Staff’s T-9 will be entered by the Health & Safety Manager/Transportation Supervisor into ODE SAFE account for approval and issuance of certificate.
- New Driver will ride with an experienced driver with students on board then drive with an experienced driver with students on board upon issuance of certificate from ODE.
- New CDL driver must be observed driving a detailed route with children on board by OBI or experienced driver.
- The certificate is valid for 6 years.
For Re-Certification (every 6 years):
- Staff will attend mandatory 3 day Bus Driver Pre-Service class as required by ODE.
- Staff will be required to complete a Pre-trip test and Driving Evaluation with an OBI without children on board.
- Including unloading/loading, emergency pullover, turn around and railroads.
- ODE will issue an Ohio Preservice School Bus Driver Training Program Certificate upon completion valid for six years.
Forms and Additional Guidance:
This policy complies with the following
|Head Start Program Performance Standard:||1303.72 (b) (c) (d)|
|ODJFS Child Care Manual:||5101:2-12-14|
|Caring for Our Children:|
|Other Sources:||OAPT 3301.83-06|
|Effective Date:||1/6/20||Reviewed Date:||6/13/22|
|Approved By Policy Council:||1/6/20||Revision Approved By Policy Council:|