NOCAC Head Start will conduct, within 45 calendar days of the child’s entry into the program, a developmental screening to identify concerns regarding a child’s developmental, behavioral, motor, language, social, cognitive, and emotional skills
- After 4 weeks of class, all children with regular attendance, teachers will complete a DECA assessment.
- The teacher will return the DECA form to the Mental Health/Behavior Specialist for scoring. The score will be entered into ChildPlus under Health-Social/Emotional Screen.
- Results from screenings will determine the type of individualization the child will receive:
- Universal strategies
- Targeted strategies
- Expanded strategies (link to DECA for definitions)
- Parents and teachers who score their children with low protective factors and high behavior concerns will meet with MH/B Specialist to discuss individualization
- Parents and teachers will receive DECA information strategies in those areas of concern. These strategies will be linked with Conscious Discipline.
- If a child has concerns in 2 or more areas of the DECA, the MH/B Specialist will determine if a referral to an MH Agency is necessary
- Children will receive individualization strategies for 8 weeks.
- For children who received individualization, teachers will complete a mid-year DECA assessment
- The teacher will return the DECA form to the MH/B Specialist for scoring. The score will be entered into ChildPlus under Health-Social/Emotional Screen.
- MH/B Specialist will meet with teachers regarding scores from most recent assessment and work to adjust strategies for children who continue to show low protective factors and high behavior concerns
- Meetings with families will be scheduled as needed
- Children will continue with previous or updated individualization strategies for 8 weeks
- After 8 weeks, strategies will be reviewed and meetings scheduled as needed
- At the end of the school year, teachers and parents will complete a post-year DECA assessment.
Forms and Additional Guidance:
This policy complies with the following
|Head Start Program Performance Standard:||1302.33|
|ODJFS Child Care Manual:|
|Caring for Our Children:|
|Effective Date:||Revision Date:|
|Approved By Policy Council:||Revision Approved By Policy Council:|