RETIRED POLICY AS OF 12/2022
NOCAC Head Start will conduct, within 45 calendar days of the child’s entry into the program, a developmental screening to identify concerns regarding a child’s developmental, behavioral, motor, language, social, cognitive and emotional skills.
If after the initial ESI-R
- A child received a result of “OK”, the child’s screening is considered complete.
- Results are entered in ChildPlus and shared with the parent.
- A child receives a result of “Re-screen” or “Refer”, the child will receive intervention in the classroom for four weeks.
- The teacher will communicate the results to the parent, making them aware of the intervention period by discussing the Parent Letter (English version; Spanish version) with the family explaining the intervention process, the family will be given at home activities to work on the four week intervention period and the teacher will work on the activities in the classroom.
After the four week intervention period, the teacher will re-screen the child using the ESI-R. If the child receives an “OK” result on the second ESI-R:
- The teacher will relay the results to the Disability/Intervention (D/I) Coordinator
- The teacher will inform the family about the results and share the Second Parent Letter checking the statement “no additional information needed”.
- The D/I Coordinator will record results in ChildPlus.
If the child receives a “re-screen” result on the second ESI-R, the teacher and Disability/Intervention Coordinator will:
- Develop a Child Service Plan (CSP), based on the child’s results of the ESI-R.
- Inform the family of the results, sharing the Second Parent Letter checking the statement “Teacher and D/I Coordinator will develop a CSP addressing your child’s ESI-R results”, sharing the CSP with the family and receiving their input.
- D/I Coordinator will document the results in ChildPlus.
If the child receives a “refer” result on the second ESI-R:
- Follow the Referral Process Policy
Forms and Additional Guidance:
This policy complies with the following
|Head Start Program Performance Standard:||1302.33|
|ODJFS Child Care Manual:|
|Caring for Our Children:|
|Effective Date:||Reviewed Date:||6/15/22|
|Approved By Policy Council:||Revision Approved By Policy Council:|