NOCAC Head start will use the Ages & Stages Questionnaire Third Edition as an evidence-based screening to identify concerns regarding a child’s motor, language, cognitive, and problem-solving skills within 45 calendar days of the child’s entry into the program.
- Within the first 45 days a child is in the program, the teaching team will complete an ASQ-3 developmental screening in the child’s normal environment
- After the Assessment has been scored, it will be entered into the ASQ-3 website for tracking and finalized by the teacher. Once the assessments for the whole group are completed, the teacher will communicate this to the Disability Services Coordinator (DSC). The DSC will enter the ASQ-3 into Child Plus under the Education tab.
- If the scores fall into the gray shaded area on the scoring sheet, the teacher will inform the Classroom Coach & Mentor (CCM) of a possible concern. The teacher will then plan activities to support the child in that area to encourage progress.
- If the scores fall into the black shaded area on the scoring sheet, the teacher will inform the CCM of a definite concern. The CCM and DSC will create a Child Service Plan (CSP) with the teaching to help support the child.
- The parents will be informed of the screening results by the teacher. They will be asked for input for the CSP if one is needed. They will be informed of the intervention process and asked to sign an ROI and CSPR. The teacher may also send home activities for the parents to do with the child to help support the CSP goals.
- The DSC and CCM will then follow the Referral Process Policy to determine if the child is eligible for service through IDEA.
- The CSP will be tracked through the lesson plans and classroom observations. The CCM can help with implementation as needed.
- An ASQ-3 rescreen will be performed in another 30 days by the CCM or DSC to determine if progress is being made.
Forms and Additional Guidance:
This policy complies with the following
|Head Start Program Performance Standard:||1302.33|
|ODJFS Child Care Manual:|
|Caring for Our Children:|
|Effective Date:||8/7/17||Reviewed Date:||6/9/22|
|Approved By Policy Council:||8/7/17||Revision Approved By Policy Council:|