NOCAC staff utilizes Active Supervision strategies when transitioning children in and out of the classroom to ensure the safety of the children at all times.
Transitioning the entire class out of the room to a different location.
- Staff will line children up and complete face to name recognition by saying each child’s name and looking at each child.
- They will compare the clips on the Classroom Transition Clipboard as they are saying the names to ensure the clips match the children that are present and in line for the transition.
- Staff will complete a visual scan of the room from one side to the other including looking under and around furniture.Staff will close the door when they leave a room after scanning for children.
- One staff will walk at the front of the line, backwards to ensure they can see the group.
- The other staff member will walk last in line to see the entire line.The clipboard will remain with staff at every location.
- When the class returns to the room, the clipboard will be hung on the hook on the classroom door.
Classroom Transition Clipboard
- Each clipboard will be labeled “Classroom Transition Clipboard” and should be used for this purpose only.
- Each clip (clothespin) will include the child’s first name and last initial (unless two children have the same first name and last initial in which case the entire name will be written for both of those children) on the front and their birthday on the back (ex: 4/12/12).
- The clipboard will have wording to indicate whether a child is at school or at home. The staff will put the clips in the appropriate place as they take attendance so they can do a face to name check.
- The clipboard will have a spot to complete daily for staff including the date, staff responsible for the day, total children, and total children present. This space must be completed daily as attendance is completed.
- When the day is over, the clips with the children’s names will be moved to the “At Home” side and all other daily information will be erased.
- The clipboard will remain on the classroom door when in the classroom.
- The clipboard will be carried by one of the staff responsible (noted on the clipboard form) only. Children will not assist with the clips or clipboard.
- The clips will remain on the clipboard or on your lanyard only when the group is separated. Clips will not be on shirts, name tags, pockets, or children.
Classroom Attendance Binder
The Classroom Attendance Binder will travel with the entire group when transitioning. If a group of children are separated from the others, the Classroom Attendance Binder will remain in the classroom or the location they are currently in (gym, outside, lunch, etc.).
The Classroom Attendance Binder will include:
- Medical Care Plan
- Blank Incident Reports
- Blank Child Health Observation Form
- Emergency Preparedness Plan – specific to each site
- Safe Meeting Place Location – specific to each site
- Playground/Gym Zoning Map – specific to each site
- ChildPlus report #2340 with Child Pictures
- Staff will follow the Attendance Guidance Policy
Forms and Additional Guidance:
This policy complies with the following
|Head Start Program Performance Standard:||1302.47|
|ODJFS Child Care Manual:||5101:2-12-19|
|Caring for Our Children:|
|Effective Date:||7/11/16||Reviewed Date:||6/11/21, 6/8/22, 8/16/22|
|Approved By Policy Council:||7/11/16||Revision Approved By Policy Council:|