NOCAC Head Start Staff or trained bus monitor will use a daily attendance sheet to track when a child is getting on or off the bus and to assist with active supervision and face to name recognition.
Arrival and Departure
- As children get on the bus at their designated stop, the bus monitor will use the Bus Attendance Sheet to record the time and will put ½ (/) of an X next to the child’s name. The bus monitor will record an A if a child is absent or not on the bus.
- Children must sit in assigned seats.
- The child’s name and photo will be used to label each assigned seat.
- At the end of the route, a total count of the children will be recorded on the Bus Attendance Sheet and both bus monitor and driver will initial confirming the total number of children on the bus.
- As children depart the bus at the center, they will say their name to the bus driver and proceed to the bus transition location (unique to each site and listed in the Classroom Attendance Binder). The bus driver will complete the X.
- Three staff members (one can be the bus monitor) must be present for loading and unloading children at the center.
- After all children have exited the bus, the driver will do a Post Trip Inspection and put up the “Bus Empty” Sign in the back window.
- As children board the bus to leave the center, they will say their name to the bus driver. The bus driver will put ½ (/) of an X in the box next to the child’s name.
- Once the child is at his/her designated bus stop, the bus monitor will complete the X and record the time of drop off.
- A total count of the children will be recorded and both monitor and driver will initial at the end of the route confirming the total number of children on the bus.
- After all children have exited the bus at his/her designated bus stop, the driver will do a Post Trip Inspection and put up the “Bus Empty” Sign in the back window.
- At the end of each week, the bus driver will turn the Bus Attendance Sheet into the Center Manager. The Bus Attendance Sheet must remain on file at the center for one year as required by ODJFS.
TRAINING AND MONITORING:
- Staff will be trained annually, at a minimum on this policy.
- New staff will be trained on this policy before monitoring on the bus by their County Manager or the Transportation and Safety Coordinator.
- The Center Manager will complete the NOCAC Center Manager Monthly Monitoring Tool each month on the bus during the first two months the program is in session and as needed thereafter with veteran staff.
- Buses with new staff will be monitored each month.
- If action is needed a plan and follow-up will be documented on the Active Supervision Corrective Action Plan by the Center Manager or the Transportation and Safety Coordinator.
- The completed monitoring forms will be sent into the Head Start/ECE Director by the end of each month.
Forms and Additional Guidance:
This policy complies with the following
|Head Start Program Performance Standard:|
|ODJFS Child Care Manual:||5101:2-12-18(E)(2)|
|Caring for Our Children:|
|Effective Date:||8/7/2017||Reviewed Date:||8/7/2017, 6/14/22|
|Approved By Policy Council:||8/7/2017||Revision Approved By Policy Council:||8/7/2017|