CACFP Meal Pattern Guidance
NOCAC Head Start will follow all USDA Rules offering a combination of foods that have been registered per the Child Nutrition Labels/Product Formulation Statements and Recipes for homemade items.
- NOCAC will follow the USDA CACFP meal pattern guidelines by ensuring we meet the minimum component requirement for combination foods. We will use Child Nutrition Labels (CN), Product Formulation Statements (PFS) and Recipes for homemade items.
Child Nutrition Labels
- The Child Nutrition Label (CNL) will state the product’s contribution toward the meal pattern requirements.
- NOCAC Center for Cook/Nutrition Aide will send any new CN Labels in with the monthly paperwork.
- NOCAC Child Development does not get reimbursed when we purchase combination foods from local store/restaurants such as the following; Wal-Mart market pizzas, Marcos pizza, Burritos.
- Products with CNL may include; Pizza, Hamburger, Cheese, Dips, Soups, Breaded items: Chicken nuggets, Fish sticks, Chicken patties.
- The Cook/Nutrition Aide will be responsible for the collection of Child Nutrition Labels from the school kitchen for combination foods at collaborative sites.
- A copy of the CNL will be kept on file at the site.
- A copy of the CNL will be sent to the Health/Nutrition Assistant at the Central Office.
- CN logo which is a distinct border.
- Meal pattern contribution statement.
- Six-digit product identification number.
- USDA authorization.
- Month and year of approval.
Product Formulation Statement
- A manufacturer’s product formulation statement (PFS) is a signed certified document that provides a way for a manufacturer to demonstrate how a product may contribute to the meal pattern requirement of the USDA and Child Nutrition programs. A PFS is provided for processed products that do not have a CN Label.
- The Process for Evaluating Manufacturer’s PFS shall be used when determining the validity of a PFS.
- The Cook/Nutrition Aide will be responsible for the collection of PFS from the school kitchen for combination foods at the collaborative sites.
- A copy of the PFS will be kept on file at the site.
- A copy of the PFS will be sent to the Health/Nutrition Assistant at the Central Office.
Blank Statement below for reference:
- Manufacturer’s letterhead.
- Name of product and product code number.
- Math calculations showing how the manufacturer determined the meal pattern contribution.
- Crediting statement.
- Signed and dated by an official of the manufacturer.
- NOCAC will provide a blank Standardized Recipe template for Cooks/NA staff to utilize when preparing a homemade item or a combination food.
- Recipes will be submitted to the Health and Safety Assistant for approval monthly.
- A copy needs to be kept onsite also in a marked folder.
Forms and Additional Guidance:
This policy complies with the following
|Head Start Program Performance Standard:|
|ODJFS Child Care Manual:|
|Caring for Our Children:|
|Effective Date:||3/26/20||Reviewed Date:||11/17/21, 6/17/22|
|Approved By Policy Council:||3/26/20||Revision Approved By Policy Council:|