NOCAC Child Development will obtain or perform evidence based vision screenings on each participant within 45 calendar days of entry into the program.
- Designated staff will complete a vision screening on every participant annually per the Health Advisory Committee and Early and Periodic Screening, Diagnostic and Treatment (EPSDT).
- The evidence based vision screener is PlusOptix for participants 1 year and older, 18 Vision Development Screening (VDM) age birth to 12 months is used for participants up to 12 months of age.
- Designated staff will be trained annually on the use of the vision screeners. The completed list of trainers is maintained by the Health & Safety Manager and typically includes the Family Advocates, Center Managers, Floats, Education Team and Disabilities Team. This list may change as center needs indicate.
- Parents will be informed of all screenings at the time of enrollment during the first home visit. Staff will assist the family in completing the Enrollment Consent Form.
- Vision screenings (within normal limits) obtained from the participant’s “qualifying” EPSDT Well Child exam will be entered into ChildPlus for tracking. In order for a vision to “qualify” it must be done on July 1st or later.
- Screenings must be current for the existing program year.
- If a child wears glasses an ROI must be sent to verify that the child has a current prescription.
- EHS: To determine if the baby has met all vision milestones, begin with Page 2 of the 18 Vision Development Milestones From Birth to Baby’s First Birthday regardless of baby’s age. Do not skip to the chronological or corrected age of the baby that is being screened. Pages 2-9 are sent to the Central Office to the Data System Specialist to be entered into ChildPlus. Pages 10-14 remain in the child’s center file for Home Visitor reference.
- Passed Vision Screenings:
- The designated staff will notify the parent about the results using the Parent’s Notification of Screening Results – PNSR for HS participants or by providing a copy of the 18 Vision Development Milestones From Birth to Baby’s First Birthday for EHS participants.
- Failed Vision Screening:
- Parents are notified using the Parent’s Notification of Screening Results – PNSR with a NOCAC Head Start Vision Report form attached or 18 Vision Development Milestones From Birth to Baby’s First Birthday.
- Parents are advised by the Family Advocate and/or teacher/home visitor (HV) to take the participant to an optometrist.
- The Family Advocate (FA) and/or teacher/Home Visitor (HV) shall assist the family in finding an optometrist if necessary.
- FA, teacher, and HV will discuss all findings at regularly scheduled meetings to be recorded on the Family Progress Notes or entered into communication under corresponding health event.
- The FA and/or teacher/HV will follow up with the family as needed.
- All followup is tracked in ChildPlus.
- At any time during the year, a parent or teacher may request another screening.
- Documentation of all screenings is maintained in ChildPlus. The white copy of the screening results is sent to the Central Office and will be entered by the Data System Specialist. All screenings requiring followup are forwarded to the Health and Safety Manager.
- PlusOptix – PSNR copies must be sent to the Central Office upon completion.
- Pages 2-9 on 18 month must be sent to Central Office upon completion of each page every month.
- The Health and Safety Manager monitors the screening and follow-up data via ChildPlus to ensure screenings are completed prior to the 45 day requirement and timely followup is received by each participant.
Forms and Additional Guidance:
- Staff trained on the PlusOptix vision screener
- 18 Vision Development Milestones From Birth to Baby’s First Birthday
- Enrollment Consent Form
- Hearing vision Screening Results
This policy complies with the following
|Head Start Program Performance Standard:|
|ODJFS Child Care Manual:|
|Caring for Our Children:|
|Effective Date:||8/7/17||Reviewed Date:||12/14/20, 6/16/22|
|Approved By Policy Council:||8/7/17||Revision Approved By Policy Council:||1/6/20|