NOCAC Head Start children will have an initial height and weight screening within 90 days of enrollment.
- Height and weight screenings obtained from the child’s qualifying Physical Exam will be entered into Child Plus for tracking by the Health Data Systems Specialist. In order for a physical exam to “qualify”, it must be done on July 1st or later.
- If a height and/or weight are not available from the child’s Physical Exam, NOCAC staff will conduct an initial height and/or weight on the child within 90 days of enrollment.
- All children are measured in accordance with standardized rules provided and recommended by the HSAC.
- See the attached NOCAC Head Start Weighing Children Procedures.
- NOCAC Head Start staff will refer children according to the policy entitled “Nutrition Child Status”
- Based on current recommendations from the HSAC, the following cases will be followed up on/referred:
- Children who fall above the 95th percentile
- Children who fall below the 5th percentile for BMI will
- Children with stature-for-the-age below the 5th percentile will receive follow up.
- The Health and Safety Assistant will assess the children who are referred and provide appropriate intervention including any or all of the following:
- Providing an informational packet for the parent
- Providing counseling to parents regarding nutrition concerns
- Discussing nutrition issues with other NOCAC staff members
- Making referrals to other NOCAC Head Start service are experts.
- Requesting staff for child and caregivers
- Making periodic weight checks to monitor progress.
- To meet the 90-day screening requirement, heights and weights are conducted twice annually for Head Start center based children and per EPSDT guidelines of home base.
- During the months of September and March the Health Data System Specialist will print ChildPlus reporting forms for each child and distribute to centers.
- Center staff will perform height and weight and return to Health Data System Specialist at the Central Office for data entry within 2 weeks.
Forms and Additional Guidance:
This policy complies with the following
|Head Start Program Performance Standard:||1302.42 (b)(4)|
|ODJFS Child Care Manual:|
|Caring for Our Children:|
|Effective Date:||08/07/17||Reviewed Date:||10/19/20, 6/16/22|
|Approved By Policy Council:||08/07/17||Revision Approved By Policy Council:|