NOCAC Head Start will provide an age appropriate nap/rest time to children enrolled in a classroom that operates 6 or more hours each day.
- Children are encouraged but not forced to rest or nap.
- Staff should provide calming, soothing music during nap time. Music should not contain words.
- Nap time should be a minimum of 30 minutes and not more than 60 minutes each day.
- Alternative quiet learning must be provided for children who do not need or want to rest/nap.
- Rest/nap areas shall be lighted to allow for visual supervision of all children at all times.
- Evacuation routes shall not be blocked by resting/napping children. Each child shall have a free and direct means of escape and NOCAC Staff shall have a clear path to each resting child.
- There must be two NOCAC Staff members in the nap room at all times.
- Cots/mats shall be individually assigned, cleaned and sanitized in accordance with ODJFS 5101:2-12-13 Appendix A.
- Children are not permitted to rest/nap on the floor without a cot or mat.
- A cot shall stand at least 3 inches and not more than 18 inches off the floor and be at least 36 inches in length and as long as the child assigned to the cot is tall. A mat is a pad that is at least one inch thick and at least as wide and long as the child using the mat.
Forms and Additional Guidance:
This policy complies with the following
|Head Start Program Performance Standard:||1302.21 – Center-based Option; 1302.31 – (e)(1)|
|ODJFS Child Care Manual:||5101:2-12-13|
|Caring for Our Children:||18.104.22.168 – Cleaning; 22.214.171.124 – Sleep & Rest Areas|
|Effective Date:||8/7/17||Reviewed Date:|
|Approved By Policy Council:||8/7/17||Revision Approved By Policy Council:|