NOCAC Head Start/Early Head Start (HS/EHS) does not exclude children from the program for not being potty trained.
Early Head Start enrolled participants:
- Toilet learning occurs when a child shows a readiness for using the toilet and the family is ready to support the child.
- When a parent and Home Visitor (HV) believe a participant is ready for toilet training, schedule the “potty training” module from Growing Great Kids (GGK).
- If and when the participant is showing gains in the potty training process, a contract can be initiated per steps noted in the process below.
Head Start enrolled participants:
- See procedures 1 thru 10 below.
- NOCAC will work directly with parents towards toilet training, unless there are medical or other developmental reasons why this may not be appropriate at the time.
- Potty training is seen as a self-care skill that children have the opportunity to learn with the full support and non-judgmental concern of adults.
- A Potty Training Agreement will be initiated with the family when:
- A parent indicates the child is not potty trained on page 3 of the JFS 01234 Child Enrollment and Health Information Form.
- A child has 3 or more potty accidents in one week;
- A parent requests one.
- Notify the Health and Safety Manager when the child is successfully trained by noting on the third page of the contract. The Health and Safety Manager will run the ChildPlus report every January to monitor the progress of children.
- In the event that a child has an accident and visible body fluids are present, staff must wear disposable gloves and wash hands after sanitizing toilets, floors and sinks soiled with any body fluids.
- If a child needs assistance cleaning themselves after an accident involving a bowel movement, baby wipes may be used.
- Development of a Potty Training Agreement indicates a “goal” for Family Partnership Agreement (FPA).
- Health and Safety Manager will run a ChildPlus report in January for staff to update records.
- Staff may refer to the Potty Training Tips for the Preschool Teacher. Remember to utilize Conscious Discipline in all child interactions.
- Extra clothes will be kept on hand at all NOCAC Head Start Centers.
Forms and Additional Guidance:
- Diapering Procedure Handout
- Potty Training Agreement
- JFS 01234 Child Enrollment and Health Information Form
This policy complies with the following
|Head Start Program Performance Standard:|
|ODJFS Child Care Manual:||https://emanuals.jfs.ohio.gov/ChildCare/ChildCareCenter/Rules/5101-2-12-23.stm|
|Caring for Our Children:|
|Effective Date:||8/7/17||Reviewed Date:||1/6/20, 6/8/22|
|Approved By Policy Council:||8/7/17||Revision Approved By Policy Council:||1/6/20|