Each Child Development center shall have at least one staff member on-site (in each building) during all hours of operation who is currently trained in First Aid, CPR, Management of Communicable Disease, and Child Abuse Recognition and Prevention.
Child Abuse & Neglect
Every NOCAC Head Start/Early Head Start administrator, child care staff member, including substitutes, shall be current with the ODJFS prescribed one-hour child abuse overview which is valid for two years. This shall be taken with the first sixty days of hire.
1) NOCAC staff will be trained on NOCAC specific procedures at hire by the Family and Community Engagement Manager during the new hire orientation process. A copy of the Child Abuse & Neglect Reporting Policy & Procedures will be distributed to the staff person at this time.
2) NOCAC staff may be required to renew online with ODJFS if the 6 hour Child Abuse and Neglect recognition training if it has not been offered prior to the expiration of online coursework.
3) NOCAC HS/EHS staff certified with the 6 hour class will complete the refresher every three years thereafter.
First Aid & CPR
NOCAC HS/EHS staff will also become certified in First Aid & CPR
1) Buses must have a First Aid/CPR certified adult on each route.
2) These trainings must be completed as time permits unless required to meet ratio at which time the supervisor will work with First Aid/CPR instructors to schedule a class.
3) First Aid/CPR classes will be offered multiple times throughout the program year.
First Aid/CPR instructors
1) Instructors must be the lead instructor at least one time every two years.
2) Instructors must be the co-instructor at least one time every two years. They should also register for the class at this time to ensure they remain updated.
3) It is the instructor’s responsibility to maintain active instructor status and follow all obligations per Red Cross rules.
Common Childhood Illness (CCI)
NOCAC HS/EHS staff will become certified in Common Childhood Illness
1) All sites will have a staff person trained in CCI on the premises at all times.
2) Trainings must be completed as time permits unless required to meet ratio.
3) Online classes can be scheduled and must be completed within six months from purchase of the online class. Supervisors may assign an earlier due date as needed.
It is the responsibility of each staff member and Supervisor to maintain status of all safety trainings and renewal dates.
Trainings shall meet course and trainer requirements in Appendix A.
Audiovisual or electronic media training shall not be used to meet the CPR training requirement unless there is also an in-person component of the training.
Forms and Additional Guidance:
This policy complies with the following
|Head Start Program Performance Standard:||1302.92, 1302.47 (b) (4)|
|ODJFS Child Care Manual:|
|Caring for Our Children:|
|Other Sources:||NOCAC Head Start Policies & Procedures- Child Abuse/Neglect Reporting|
|Effective Date:||8/7/17||Reviewed Date:||6/8/22|
|Approved By Policy Council:||8/7/17||Revision Approved By Policy Council:|