NOCAC Head Start/Early Head Start (HS/EHS) staff will ensure a responsive care, effective teaching, and an organized learning environment is provided.
- Set up a positive, supportive environment that enables you to develop meaningful relationships with the children and families.
- Always know how many children you have in your care. ALL STAFF MUST FOLLOW THE ACTIVE SUPERVISION POLICY AT ALL TIMES.
- All centers must be open and available for the children daily for at least the entire hour of free play.
- The Job Chart will be completed weekly, allowing the child to be responsible for that job for 4 class days (or as appropriate) by having children choose their own job. The Job Chart must have pictures and words to represent each job. All classrooms will have implemented a Job Chart within 30 days of the class start date.
- Each child will have a cubby/mailbox with their first name and photo on the outside to store personal items, mail for parents, and work. The child’s first name should be on all paperwork that is sent home and displayed in the classroom.
- Each child will have his/her name on their comb; combs are stored in each child’s cubby. The comb may be used when teaching a new self care skill or to promote positive social-emotional and self confidence.
- Toothbrushes will have the child’s first name on the toothbrush. Place the toothpaste on the inside rim of the cup. The staff must do the same and brush their teeth with the children. Refer to the Tooth Brushing/Table Brushing Policy for further guidance.
- Create a set of classroom commitments based on Conscious Discipline with the children. Limit the number (3-5) and difficulty level and post them in the classroom to be referred to.
- The Family Board is labeled “Family Board” and easily accessible to parents/guardians. Family Board information will be kept together in one location.
- NOCAC staff will follow the Creative Curriculum guidance and the Creative Curriculum Fidelity Screener.
- Staff may refer to the Creative Curriculum Fidelity Tool Policy for further guidance.
Forms and Additional Guidance:
This policy complies with the following
|Head Start Program Performance Standard:||1302.31|
|ODJFS Child Care Manual:|
|Caring for Our Children:|
|Effective Date:||1/16/20||Reviewed Date:||8/23/22|
|Approved By Policy Council:||Revision Approved By Policy Council:|